Logo

News

Where Did the Neighborhoods of Istanbul Derive their Names? Find Out About One of the Most Ancient Cities

by Proact
Feb , 28
Where Did the Neighborhoods of Istanbul Derive their Names? Find Out About One of the Most Ancient Cities

The city of Istanbul is the largest city in Turkey in terms of heritage and cultural heritage because it was present for the Islamic world for a period of 600 years and there is also the most prestigious neighborhoods that come to the visitors and tourists from every point and right to see them Each neighborhood of Istanbul is distinguished cultural heritage about the neighborhoods But did you ask yourself a tourist who was or was living in Istanbul, where did the famous Taksim region get its name? Well, the answer is that it is the area of ​​water division, and the neighborhood of “conqueror” was named after the Ottoman Sultan Mohammed II, the first Constantinople (now Istanbul).

From “Taksim” and “Al-Fateh” to the “Akzari” area, whose name came to those coming from the province of Akzari (central), how did the most prominent neighborhoods of Istanbul acquire their names?

Among the historical reasons, events and unique stories in Istanbul, the reasons for naming neighborhoods, especially in the old areas that make up the city and its surroundings.

The ancient city has a great historical extension. It has witnessed several ancient civilizations prior to the Ottoman conquest of Istanbul (1453), which led to a painting of different names, asking to ask the reasons.

Some of the neighborhoods bore the names of personalities who lived there, or lived there in something special, and some of the origin of its name is Arabic.

Baghdad Street is in the Asian side of Istanbul, a route that has existed since the days of the Byzantines, according to Turkish sources.

During the Ottoman rule, convoys were launched from the area of ​​”Uskudar” to Damascus and Baghdad, as well as the Ottoman armies, using the street, hence the name.

In the area of ​​”Tub Kabi” was the name (the door high) called the government departments, as every government office in Istanbul was called this name taken from the Arabic language.

On the European side of the Bosphorus Strait lies the Babek (infant) area, which is called Ruwatin.

The first concerns the appointment of an employee by the Sultan, “Muhammad al-Fateh”, named “Bibik Chalabi”, or “Bibik Jawish”.

The second novel says that one of the sultans saw his son, afraid of a snake in a garden in the area.

Istanbul’s natural “Belgrade Forest”, derived from the “new village of Belgrade” built by Sultan Suleiman al-Qanuni, and placed in it a thousand and 521 prisoners of Serbia after the opening of the country.

And to “Besiktas” one of the most famous neighborhoods of Istanbul and its doors, which was named after its old name “Kone Petro”, meaning the baby bed stone.

The monk Yaksha brought the birthplace of Jesus Christ from Jerusalem, where he was washed and put into a church established in the area. After the death of the monk he was placed in the Hagia Sophia, but there is no proof of that.

In the heart of Istanbul, the area of ​​”Jarrah Pasha,” named after a mosque in the region dates back to the sixteenth century, and ordered the construction of the Great Mosque surgeon Mohammed Pasha.

The famous Jihangir district of the city derives its name from the mosque ordered by Sultan Suleiman al-Qanuni to build his son Jehangir at a height of 300 feet.

Outside the walls of Istanbul to the west, the area of ​​Bakırköy, which was a resort in the Byzantine era, and during the time of “Constantine” the largest, built palaces and churches.

This region was named before the Ottoman conquest of Makrohori (Greek word for Arabic: the long village) and was then called Makriköy in the Ottoman period. The word “Hori”, which means “Greek village” Its Turkish is “koi”. After the proclamation of the Republic (1923), the name was fully inscribed as “Cower Kui”, meaning the Copper Village. Researchers say that the choice of the name “Bakır” may only be similar to the pronunciation with “Makr”.

During the period of Ottoman rule, the Sultan Ahmed I conquered this small bay and completed it during the period of Sultan Osman II before turning in 1614 to a park in his name. As time passed, it became known as the ” Dolma Bahche Park.

On the Asian side is the famous district of Qadi Qawi, an old and neglected neighborhood, until Sultan Khadr Bey, the Istanbul judge, established the Ottoman name after the Ottoman conquest.

The area of ​​Sutloga has a strange name, Fahmi, an ancient Byzantine village, with a bronze statue of a woman dripping water from her hands. It was then convinced that the breastfeeding woman, if drunk, would increase her milk yield.

Returning to Taksim, the bustling heart of Istanbul and the tourist and Turkish destination, its name came from an area of ​​water from outside Istanbul. In the 19th century, a water network was established to divide it into four districts of Istanbul.

The “unkapanı” area, a Turkish word compounded in Arabic, means the balance of flour. In the period of Ottoman rule, it was a market for sale and purchase. After the opening of Istanbul, the goods came to them via ships loaded with wheat flour, which was weighed by the Mizan, an Arabic word, hence the name.

Opposite this area is one of the oldest residential places in Istanbul and the world, Zirk, which was renamed after the conversion of the Pantokrator Church to the Mulla Zirk Mosque.

The name “Zirk” of the word Turkish origin Persian, meaning the intelligent Fahim.

The names of the family are very similar to the “Shishli” area, where a family was known to make sikhs.

Near the area of ​​”Bayazid”, which came from a mosque and a college established by the Ottoman Sultan Bayezid II, lies the area of ​​”Tahta Calais”, which derives its name from the Arabic language (under the castle).

The Chamberlain Tach (Round Stone) is called “Bayazid” because it was an important field during the days of the Byzantines, with a round high stone column.

The Amenuno region was named because of the presence of officials responsible for monitoring traders, who were called secretaries during the Ottoman period.

At the end of the tour, the Hor Hor area, to be called a story, as the Sultan was heard as he passed the voice of the ground water, which produces a sound in the form of “Hor Hor”, and asked to establish a waterway.

 

Source

Get in touch

contacts
+90 (212) 803 1664
+90 537 502 0087
[email protected]
Barbaros Hayrettin Paşa Mah,
Newista Residence,
34522 Esenyurt/İstanbul
[:en]Thank you!. Your message is successfully sent...[:ar]لقد تم إرسال رسالتك إلينا، وسوف نتصل بك في أقرب وقت![:]
We're sorry, but something went wrong